Glasgow's Post-war Listed Buildings
This is a list of Category A listed buildings in Scotland which date from after 1945 (the post-war period). The majority of these buildings are examples of Brutalist architecture or related modernist architecture which was ambitiously adopted by a number of Scottish architects, such as Sir Robert Matthew and Sir Basil Spence.
glasgow's post-war listed buildings
In Scotland, the term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of "special architectural or historic interest". Category A structures are those considered to be "buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type." Listing was begun by a provision in the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1947, and the current legislative basis for listing is the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997. The authority for listing rests with Historic Scotland, an executive agency of the Scottish Government, which inherited this role from the Scottish Development Department in 1991. Once listed, severe restrictions are imposed on the modifications allowed to a building's structure or its fittings. Listed building consent must be obtained from local authorities prior to any alteration to such a structure.
There are approximately 47,400 listed buildings and statues in Scotland, of which around 8% (some 3,600) are Category A. The number which date from post 1945 currently stands at 49, following the addition of the Cables Wynd House and Linksview House buildings in January 2017. The two oldest buildings in this list both commenced construction prior to World War II but completion then occurred in the post-war period, the buildings are generally considered post-war.
In the mid-1990s, with the benefit of growing research into this area of study, post-war buildings have been suggested to Historic Scotland as individual listing proposals, or have been listed following reviews of the work of well-known architects, such as the practice of Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, or Sir Basil Spence and more recently as part of the reviews of significant estates such as the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde.
Gillespie Kidd and Coia are represented the most in the post-war listed buildings currently found in Glasgow with 9 buildings included on the lists. Thomas Cordiner is the second most represented with 5 listed buildings. Both these practices worked extensively for the Glasgow Diocese and many of their listed buildings are churches.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
The Burrell Collection comprises a vast array of precious art from around the world. First opened to the public in 1983, the museum in Pollok Country Park, Glasgow, is one of Scotland's few Category-A listed post-war buildings. Unfortunately, a steady deterioration of the building fabric over recent years and declining visitor numbers meant that essential intervention would be required to bring it up to contemporary museum standards and guarantee its future.
These contributions, along with improved UV filtering and security, are helping to safeguard the collection in the newly refurbished museum. The refurbished building has achieved a BREEAM rating of Excellent putting the building in the top 10% of energy efficient buildings in the UK - a significant achievement for the refurbishment and conservation of a Category-A listed building.
We have launched this public consultation to gather views on listing this iconic structure at Category B, in recognition of its special historic and architectural interest. Find out more about listed buildings.
The renewed Burrell Collection has achieved a BREEAM rating of Excellent putting the museum in the top 10 per cent of energy efficient buildings in the UK, a significant achievement for the refurbishment and conservation of a Category-A listed building.
BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published hereis used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building,planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.
The main site of the Festival was constructed on a 27 acre area on the South Bank, London, which had been left untouched since being bombed in the war. In keeping with the principles of the Festival, a young architect aged only 38, Hugh Casson, was appointed Director of Architecture for the Festival and to appoint other young architects to design its buildings. With Casson at the helm, it proved to be a perfect time to showcase the principles of urban design that would feature in the post-war rebuilding of London and other towns and cities.
Always planned as a temporary exhibition, the Festival ran for 5 months before closing in September 1951. It had been a success and turned over a profit as well as being extremely popular. In the month that followed the closure however, a new Conservative government was elected to power. It is generally believed that the incoming Prime Minister Churchill considered the Festival a piece of socialist propaganda, a celebration of the achievements of the Labour Party and their vision for a new Socialist Britain, the order was quickly made to level the South Bank site removing almost all trace of the 1951 Festival of Britain. The only feature to remain was the Royal Festival Hall which is now a Grade I listed building, the first post-war building to become so protected and is still hosting concerts to this day. 041b061a72